After hours of following @MuscleNerd and refreshing my tweets ever so often, the time had arrived - Jailbreaking for OS 3.0 had been released with one caveat - only Pwnage had been released, which unfortunately only works on Intel powered Macs, which of course I don't own!
As such, I realised that a PC owner could restore to an already jailbroken custom IPSW (firmware) created on a Mac, but not without its own share of issues. After several hours of a non-functional phone, these are the instructions for jailbreaking your iPhone on Windows without QuickPWN or redsn0w:
- iTunes 8.1.1 found at http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php
- iTunes 8.2 from www.apple.com/iTunes
- Custom Jailbroken 3.0 IPSW: Torrent
- QuickPWN RC-3 found at http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/09/download-quickpwn-rc3.html
- Quick PWN 225-2 found at http://quickpwn2-2-1.googlecode.com/files/QuickPwn-225-2.zip
- Official 2.0.2 IPSW found at http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5241.20080818.t5Fv3/iPhone1,2_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw
- Official 2.2.1 IPSW found at http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5828.20090127.aQLi8/iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw
If you have an iPhone 3G 2.2.1 Jailbroken, these are the steps you should take:
- Open iTunes 8.2
- Backup iPhone data
- Hit Shift+Restore and select the custom IPSW you downloaded earlier
- Restore iPhone data
- You should have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with OS 3.0
If you are already running the stock 3.0 OS, the steps are a bit more complicated because iTunes 8.2 will NOT let you restore to the custom IPSW or downgrade to 2.2.1. These are the instructions:
- If you have installed 3.0 already, this assumes you are running iTunes 8.2
- Close iTunes 8.2
- Run QuickPWN RC-3 to install the official 2.0.2 IPSW on the iPhone.
- When the iPhone screen turns white (while the exploit is being uploaded), disconnect your iPhone - the screen will remain white.
- Close QuickPWN RC-3
- Open iTunes 8.2 and Shift+Restore to the official 2.2.1 IPSW
- You will probably get Error 1013 This is fine for now. QuickPWN 225-2 should fix that.
- Uninstall iTunes 8.2 and install iTunes 8.1.1 Alternatively, use another computer with iTunes 8.1.1 already installed. This is because QuickPWN 225-2 does not work with iTunes 8.2
- Close iTunes 8.1 and run QuickPWN 225-2
- Follow the RESET steps at the beginning, this should fix ERROR 1013.
- Jailbreak your iPhone 3G 2.2.1 using QuickPWN 225-2
- Uninstall iTunes 8.1.1 and install iTunes 8.2
- Shift+Restore to 3.0 Jailbroken Custom IPSW
- Voila, you should have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G running 3.0!
It has come to the author's note, that the Dev-Team has already released redsn0w, which allows you to jailbreak with relative ease. If you are unsure, it is best to use this tool, than the method above. The method was used because redsn0w or QuickPWN had not been released by the Dev-Team yet.