Since my computer lies on the NUS domain, the app works, but ONLY over WiFi which initially was fine for me until today, as for some weird reason there isn't a hotspot at K-Gourmet!
Since I have a data plan with SingTel I wanted to figure out a way to connect to the comp over 3G. In order to be connect I first had to be on NUSNET by some means or another. I tried the obvious route of WebVPN, with not much hope (because of the Java requirement), and unsurprisingly it authenticated me, but didn't do much else!
I was always aware that the iPhone had VPN settings (with CISCO IPSec - which is what NUS used to use before WebVPN). I tried searching for the settings but couldn't come across anything substantial and with a LOT of trial and error, I finally had success!
So below, I shall post the settings for anyone who wishes to connect to NUS VPN from outside NUS using an iPhone:
- Make sure the iPhone can connect to the internet via WiFi or 3G
- Go to Settings-->General-->Network
- Click on VPN
- Choose "Add VPN Configuration"
- Click on the IPSec tab
- Enter the following settings:
- Description: NUS VPN (or anything else you want to name the profile)
- Server: 220.127.116.11 (this is for connecting from outside NUS)
- Account: u0XXXXXX (your NUSNET ID)
- Password: Leave blank (you will be prompted when you connect)
- Group Name: inside-nus
- Secret: inside-nus
That should be it, you should now be prompted to enter you credentials and then get a message welcoming you to NUS VPN!
NB: For the server: vpn.nus.edu.sg should work as well, but I've not tried it.